Saturday, March 03, 2007

Shrugs in action!

I've been browsing around for a new, more ambitious knitting project recently. I've made a couple of bags, a very utilitarian afghan, a number of scarves and some random stuff (coasters, cable sampler, etc). There are only so many bags/scarves/knick-knacks I can have around the house before I become a total hippy so I've decided to graduate to clothing! Argh! Rather antsy about it because I'm positive it won't be that great. The first anything I knit usually doesn't turn out so well. For instance, I didn't line the first 2 bags I made with cloth so they were free to stretch (and stretch) forever from the weight of their contents, resulting in lopsided bags. I subsequently learned to line my bags with fabric so they'll stay pretty forever!

Anyways, the two projects I decided on are two cardi/shrug type thingies. The first one that I'm currently making good progress on is the Flirty Shrug which I encountered on the DIY network website. The directions are rather vague at best and do not include diagrams that could've helped in putting together the pieces to create a shrug. I suppose that's what you get when you don't want to pay for patterns, but anyway, I've finished knitting all the pieces. One of the hardest parts for me is sewing/seaming all the pieces together. Somehow, I'm not as motivated when it comes to the last stretches of assembling my knitting projects.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The only thing I'm a bit hesitant about it the crocheted lining. I don't know how to crochet (yet) but I used to when I was in secondary school. For some reason, I have lost that skill over the years. I hope that I can acquire it quickly once my new book arrives. Looking at the crafty and cool things DIY Network has on its site, I wish I had DIY Network on my cable TV package! *SIGH* So I suppose the next best thing to having it on my TV is being able to enjoy the free patterns and cool tutorials on their website.

The second pattern I found appealing was for a delicate, lacey shrug from the book "Knit 2 Together". I fell in love with it the moment I saw it and thought it would be oh-so pretty for spring! I bought the recommended silk/alpaca combo yarn, which is the most luxurious (read: expensive) yarn I've bought for my hobby.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Before this, the yarn I've been using are on the cheap side from Joann.com. However, I've been getting tired of the cheap yarns that have a synthetic feel. The yarns I've purchased except for the ones I used to make a scarf has some acrylic in it. I think acrylic is to knitting like plant starch fillers are to food: hollow and tasteless.

No comments: